Join our team!
We are looking for mentors to work with multiple high school productions leading up to and during Nextfest 2023.
These mentors will communicate directly with the teens and help where each project most needs it. They will support the teen productions by helping them:
- be ready for the festival
- submit their information on time
- solve any issues that may arise for the teens (tech, direction, script, costumes, scheduling, casting…._
- attend a few rehearsals,
- attend the production’s tech rehearsal
- attend the productions during the festival
Mentors should be comfortable taking initiative, working in schools, collaborating with teens, solving problems, demonstrating professionalism and gentle guidance. Mentors will be paired with multiple productions (2-4) that are deemed to most fit their skill set. As Nextfest is a multi-disciplinary arts festival we require mentors to have a wide range of artistic skills.
Application deadline: February 14 or once all positions have been filled
- Training and prior experience in theatre, movement or music
- Prior experience working with youth in the arts
- Should be a self starter, reliable and possess a passion for sharing their craft
- Expected to attend multiple teen (daytime) rehearsals and performances and thus should be able to get themselves around the city and its outlying areas
- Valid Canadian Criminal Record Check
- LOVE working with youth in the arts
- References from previous work with youth
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Attending multiple rehearsals at multiple locations (usually Edmonton high schools)
- Helping to solve production issues as they arise (costumes, set, script, blocking, lighting, sound, transportation, scheduling, re casting,….you name it!)
- Ensuring each teen production feels successful
- Ensuring that each teen production feels supported
- Sharing your love and experience for the arts through gentle guidance
- Virtual meetings/updates with the High School curator
- Following up with teens on deadlines
- Work independently to schedule meeting times and attend teen rehearsals
- Attend the tech rehearsal and performances for each group you are mentoring
- A festival pass for Nextfest 2023
- A festival t-shirt
- $300 honorarium
- All artist perks including invitations to the Artist Party and other artist-only events
Dates and times to consider when applying:
- Starting date – Mid/end of Feb
- Nextfest 2023 runs June 1-11th
- Students generally rehearse between March and June.
- Rehearsals are most often held at their school
- Rehearsals are often held after school hours between 3:00-5:00pm weekdays, over lunch hour and sometimes on weekends.
- Technical rehearsals TBD but sometime between May 20-30th outside of school hours.
Interested applicants please email a current resume/CV and cover letter and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Resume and cover letter should include: artistic background, training, any relevant experiences mentoring/teaching youth in the arts.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
If you have any questions about these positions,
please feel free to contact me
via email email@example.com
or call 780-238-4318.
What is Nextfest?
Nextfest is a multi-disciplinary emerging arts festival in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada running June 1- 11, 2023.