Job Posting: Festival Director
Application Deadline: September 25, 2016
Start Date: November 1, 2016 in Edmonton, Alberta
Term: Annual contract: full-time during the festival, part-time in off season
Report to: The Nextfest Arts Company Board of Directors
About the Nextfest Arts Company
The Nextfest Arts Company is made up of hundreds of young and emerging artists from a wide variety of disciplines, creating Edmonton’s most unique annual multi-disciplinary arts festival: Nextfest. Founded in 1996 by Theatre Network’s Artists Director Bradley Moss, Nextfest cultivates, celebrates, and disseminates the artistic voice of young emerging professional artists. Nextfest is a common ground for the next generation of creators and producers. The future is theirs! The next festival will take place June 1-11, 2017.
The Festival Director is responsible for leading all artistic elements of The Nextfest Arts Company. Working with a team of curators to select and develop the works presented at each Nextfest, the Festival Director works collaboratively with the Festival Manager, Production Manager, and Marketing Manager to produce the festival.
The Festival Director is responsible for the overall programming of the festival including:
- Visioning, scheduling, and budgeting;
- Creating content, marketing, and promotional materials;
- Ensuring that all programming is a consistent and appropriate interpretation of the festival’s mandate;
- Leading all artistic elements of the company, including managing and recruiting the curatorial team;
- Creating the overall festival schedule;
- Developing the festival program with the Marketing Manager and Graphic Designer;
- Planning and implementing the Opening Ceremonies;
- Cultivating and maintaining partnerships with other organizations;
- Working alongside the Festival Manager to write grants, secure and implement sponsorship partnerships, and all other forms of funding; and
- Mentoring and supporting emerging artists.
- Experience managing artists and staff;
- Festival management experience;
- Interest in the emerging artist communities in Edmonton, Alberta, and Canada;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; and
- Proven track record in the applicants artistic discipline.
The Festival Director is a work from home position that requires flexibility for occasional meetings, office time and attendance at various events and performances. Generally this is a part-time position with May and June having an increased workload.
Please email or mail your resume no later than September 25, 2016 to:
Subject Line: Festival Director Search
Festival Director Search
The Nextfest Arts Company
8529 Gateway Blvd
No phone calls, please. All applications are considered confidential.